Lead Accessibility Engineer
at MURAL (View all jobs) Remote
MURAL is on a mission to inspire and connect imagination workers globally.
MURAL is a digital workspace for visual collaboration. Our platform and services enable innovative teams to think and collaborate visually to solve important problems. People benefit from MURAL’s speed and ease of use in creating diagrams, which are popular in design thinking and agile methodologies, as well as tools to facilitate more impactful meetings and workshops.
Global enterprises including IBM, USAA, E-Trade, Intuit, SAP, Atlassian, Autodesk and GitHub have embraced visual collaboration to align their teams, plan in real-time, speed up decision making, reduce travel costs and accelerate a culture of innovation. MURAL’s certified enterprise-class cloud-based infrastructure connects 40 percent of Fortune 100 global enterprises, drawing the support of leading investors from Radian Capital, Gradient Ventures, Endeavor Catalyst and others.
MURAL is headquartered in San Francisco and employs over 100 people working remotely across six time zones around the world, including office hubs in Buenos Aires and Europe. We recently raised $23M in a Series A round of financing, so we are ready to take MURAL to the next level.
As the Lead Accessibility Engineer you will be on the UI Common Components Team and you will work closely with leadership to shape the MURAL Accessibility Strategy and build accessibility capabilities into the core DNA of the MURAL application. This is an exciting opportunity to innovate on creative ways to make MURAL’s visual collaboration platform accessible to all users. We’re looking for someone with extensive hands-on working knowledge of WCAG, ARIA, and ARIA Authoring Practices and have experience making complex custom components accessible.
In this role, you will:
- Develop new accessibility features to amaze users.
- Help lead technical and functional design reviews on accessibility features. Plus be part of every tech design you wish…we are open to everyone!
- Be a Subject Matter Expert (SME) for accessibility in the company.
- Help shape our accessibility roadmap to create a rich MURAL user experience for all users.
- Work closely with product management, analysts, architects, engineering leads, and business stakeholders to define requirements, guide product and architectural vision, lead key technical and design discussions, and prioritize delivery efforts around accessibility features.
- Support product management on review and feedback of accessibility requirements from prospects and customers.
- Thrive on a high level of autonomy and responsibility, making hard decisions and tradeoffs.
- Help to craft and iterate on our accessibility technology infrastructure to enable the growth and scale the business needs to succeed.
The top candidate will have the following skills:
- A MS/BS degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or 5 years of proven experience in a similar position
- Extensive hands-on working knowledge of WCAG, ARIA, and ARIA Authoring Practices and have experience making complex custom components accessible.
- Familiarity with building accessible complex components, such as accordion, carousel, combo boxes and drag-n-drop…and not just using standard web components.
- Familiarity with accessibility automated testing is preferred.
- Experience with Accessibility Conformance Report (VPAT) is a plus.
- Experience with web application development frameworks and tools like React and Webpack
- Experience with JS testing and code analysis frameworks like Mocha, Istanbul, ESLint, Jasmine
- Lead moderate to highly complex programming tasks and provide code reviews of various development tasks
- Implement automated unit and integration tests and ensure the practice is followed consistently
- Participate in system design and specifications, program logic and flow-charting, development, testing, debugging, documentation, and support
- Provide analysis of problems and recommend solutions
WHAT WE OFFER
In addition to being part of our quest to help people empower their imagination, we offer:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Flexible working hours
- Ability to work remotely
- Flexible time off
- A phenomenal learning environment for you to develop
We bring people to our team that care about our mission to inspire and connect creative people globally, and who feel aligned with our values:
- Make Others Successful
- Adapt to Thrive
- Show Up With a Smile
- Generate Wows
- Think Global
- Play to Win and Have Fun
Practicing equality through imagination work.
MURAL is committed to creating diverse and inclusive workspaces where people can make a positive impact on the world and share their vision of how they achieve it. We are dedicated to working alongside multiple communities to help build this dream and bring it to life.